Before making any improvements, alterations or additions to your home it is essential that you obtain written permission from Homes Plus and any other approvals required, before any work is started.
Requests for permission to undertake improvements need to be made using our request to carry out alterations form, which can be found below. Please also refer to our property improvement policy, on the documents page.
What alterations do I need to seek permission for?
Below are examples of the type of work you need to seek permission to carry out:
- Erecting a shed or greenhouse – temporary structure only
- Installing a new bathroom or kitchen
- Removing or installing an electric, gas or open fire
- Installing a Sky dish, TV aerial, CCTV or burglar alarm
- Changing internal or external light fittings
- Installing a large stove style cooker which means a kitchen cupboard may need to be removed.
- Removing kitchen worktop
- Changing internal doors
- Installing an outside tap
- Erecting, removing or moving walls
- Erecting fence panels
- Installing a new driveway or dropped kerb – subject to local authority highways application process
What alterations will you NOT give permission for?
Permission will not be given for you to install:
- A woodburner
- A gas fire
- A flueless gas fire
What things do I need to remember when thinking about making alterations?
- You are responsible for any repairs to the improvements you make.
- If you move out you must either leave any improvements or put your home back to its original condition – failure to do so may result in you being charged.
- You must make sure the work is done properly and safely, using an agreed/registered contractor.
- Should you carry out alterations without our written permission you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement.