|Damp and mould policy
|Date of next review
|Director of maintenance and commercial services
This policy explains how instances of damp and mould – whether identified by one of our employees or reported by a customer – will be received, investigated and remedied by Homes Plus. The guidance in the policy allows us to best meet legal, regulatory and business needs, while ensuring a high-quality and effective service for our customers.
What the policy covers
This policy applies to all rented homes where the landlord is Homes Plus. Garages and outhouses are not covered by this policy.
Definitions contained in the policy
Damp and mould: Mould or fungal growths resulting from dampness and/or high humidities in the home.
This policy has been developed to:
- Meet relevant legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure our responses to damp and mould are timely and reflect the urgency of the issue
- Ensure we are delivering a cost-effective and customer-focused service
- Ensure we have a robust framework in place to address damp and mould issues
- Meet contractual requirements set out in the tenancy or lease
The following principles underpin our decisions regarding damp and mould:
- We treat customers reporting damp and mould with respect and empathy.
- We ensure our colleagues are appropriately trained to deal with the type of damp and mould issue they are addressing. This includes carrying out inspections or remedial works.
- When responding to reports of damp and mould we will seek to determine the cause and find a solution.
- Actions taken to rectify damp and mould issues are not the sole responsibility of the customer.
Identification of damp and mould
- We will carry out periodic, independent surveys of our properties, based on age and repairs history
- We will ensure that our employees have the skills – and knowledge – to identify and report damp and mould issues
- If we visit your property for another reason and see any evidence of damp and mould, our teams will notify us and we will contact you to arrange an appointment for a full survey
- We will ensure that we can identify complex cases at an early stage, through inspections
- We will ensure that our reporting systems are accessible by all customers and through various channels
- You should report any issues of damp and mould as soon as possible
- You should notify us immediately if you require any repairs to your property that fall under our responsibility as a landlord. Responding quickly to repairs will help us to prevent future problems, including damp and mould. For more information about our repairs responsibilities, see the associated documents section on page three.
- We will use our own suitably qualified surveyors to assess damp and mould issues. We will share the outcomes of all surveys and inspections with the customer, to help them understand the findings and be clear about the next steps
- We will act on survey recommendations in a timely manner
- We will take steps to identify and resolve any skills gaps, to ensure our surveyors have the appropriate expertise. This includes being able to properly diagnose – and respond to – reports of damp and mould
- Our inspectors will adhere to the following service level agreement:
- On receipt of any report of damp or mould in a property, we will complete an inspection within seven working days.
- If extensive works are required, we will consider the individual circumstances of the household, including any vulnerabilities and whether it is appropriate to move the customer(s) out of their home at an early stage
- We will regularly review the information, materials and support we provide about damp and mould, to ensure that they are effective in helping to avoid damp and mould issues in our customers’ properties
- Once an inspection has taken place, we will prepare a bespoke and dedicated action plan to remedy any issues that have been found
- We will communicate with our customers regularly about actions taken to resolve reports of damp and mould
- An individual will be appointed to ensure that each complaint or report is resolved.
We will share learning from complaints – and the positive impact of changes made as a result – by identifying themes, trends and learning opportunities
Repairs policy – www.homesplus.co.uk/repairs-policy
Property improvement policy – www.homesplus.co.uk/property-improvement-policy
Damp and mould policy – key facts
Cutting condensation and giving mould the brush off – customer leaflet
My repairs and maintenance safety guide
The Housing Ombudsman published guidance in its ‘Spotlight on damp and mould – it’s not lifestyle’ feature, in October 2021.