Request for permission to carry out alterations – guidance notes

Guidance notes

In line with the probationary tenancy agreement we will not grant any permissions for alterations during a probationary tenancy.

In line with our standard condition of alterations, any alterations that are deemed structural, for example building an extension or porch, removing a wall, conservatory or lean-to, will not be granted permission. If alterations need to be undertaken due to a medical need please speak to our customer services team about our aids and adaptions process.

Please ensure that you provide your contractors details, as indicated on the permission form, as we cannot grant permission with out these details.

All permissions are granted subject to our property improvement policy – a copy of which can be viewed on the documents page.

We recommend that you include as much information as possible with your request. Doing so will help us make a decision as quickly as possible.

Examples of alterations you need to seek permission for

  • Erecting a shed or greenhouse – temporary structure only
  • Installing a new bathroom or kitchen
  • Removing or installing an electric, gas or open fire
  • Installing a Sky dish, TV aerial, CCTV or burglar alarm
  • Changing internal or external light fittings
  • Installing a large stove style cooker which means a kitchen cupboard may need to be removed.
  • Removing kitchen worktop
  • Changing internal doors
  • Installing an outside tap
  • Erecting, removing or moving walls
  • Erecting fence panels
  • Installing a new driveway or dropped kerb – subject to local authority highways application process

Please remember:

  • You are responsible for any repairs to the improvements you make.
  • If you move out you must either leave any improvements or put your home back to its original condition – failure to do so may result in you being charged.
  • You must make sure the work is done properly and safely, using an agreed/ registered contractor.
  • Should you carry out alterations without our written permission you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement.
  • When we ask for proofs of works including certificates you must provide them to ensure we are confident that your home is safe.

Electrical works

If you are requesting electrical work then it must be carried out by a minimum Part P approved contractor, registered with NICEIC / ELECSA. A certificate of install, issued on completion of the works plus a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate must be sent to us within 28 days of completion.

All works must be carried out in accordance with BS7671 IET Wiring Regulations.

Gas works

We do not allow any alterations relating to gas works.

What’s happens next

Once you have completed our online form, we will consider your request. Please allow a minimum of eight weeks for written permission.

For certain requests we will make an instant decision, for others we may need to undertake an inspection. We may not unreasonably refuse permission, however this depends on the terms of your tenancy. Certain works or alterations may be refused if they could affect the long term letting viability of the property.

Footer Angle
My Homes Plus